Tuesday, March 06, 2007

spell bound

piled a lot of others' mattresses beneath me, trying to cover that which bruised my ego
aligned myself with monsters to feel beautiful, closed my eyes so i would not witness their actions
rode white horses to others' rescues, trying to escape myself
a damsel in distress
in denial

climbed to the highest turret in my card castle
seduced by the spindle, the solitude
cursing myself, i locked the tower and cut my hair
ready to hang myself with the rope, rather than bind myself to another
fell asleep, dreamt that i was kissed with no expectation placed upon me

awoken only by dawn
and the nagging sensation of buried troubles

slowly peeled back the layers of my worries
bundled the many beds i had made and laid in, despairing
dragged them out of the castle to be carried away by white horses
exposed the vile little pea of doubt

a sigh and the cards collapse
grounded, i can sleep on clouds

2 comments:

Michel Nosre-dna said...

"i climbed to the highest turret in my card castle"
Love it!

dana j peterson said...

your use of imagery in this piece is so so very nice ...

Walt should be spinning in his grave.

Great, great work.